Sunday, January 13, 2008

Progress



I got 2 letters from David! He sounds ok, but was still in reception.... so had not gotten a huge taste yet of boot camp. He said he saw Aaron (his cousin) and they are both bald now :) But they didn't really get to talk...... He said he has 9 weeks til graduation. I need to check the calendar.... Somewhere around the 10th of March we'll be going to Missouri! I'll have to wait til I talk to him again to get an exact date. I hope it's a weekend thing. Of course then he's only half-done in Missouri... he'll have to go thru 10 weeks of AIT. (don't know what that stands for....) If he doesn't see Aaron much during basic they will prob'ly be together some in AIT cuz they're both training to be MPs.

The hard thing is that he doesn't have a personal address yet so I can't write back!! I really NEEED to write back! To tell him I love him and all that stuff I used to get to say every day. I'm one of "those people" now.... the ones who say "Oh I have a son in TX." or "My daughter lives over in GA." I just hope Dave's out-of-stateness isn't permanent. I'll feel much better when he's HOME!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I'm positive that Dave will do great. AIT stands for Advanced Individual Training. My brother was in the army for three years, and it has made him an awesome and responsible adult.

Justin Case said...

I can understand your apprehension; my "baby-boy" went thru Army Basic and Jump School in SC, then Ranger School in Ga. He went on to "get his rear shot off" during the military intervention in Mogadishu, Somalia, '93-'94. A couple other Ranger "scrapes" before he got out.
POINT BEING: You'll be amazed at the change in your son, I was !!!
He came home after it all, more self-assured, more caring, considerate.......and.... a thing I hadn't considered: he no longer felt he had to prove himself to his [local] peers; in his mind he had done things "the others only dreamt about !!!" My boy was/is ever the planner; took all the education the Army thru at him-after discharge, became an undercover Narco cop; airport cop; and is now a Deputy US Marshall and at the "grand old age of 34"!!!
I congratulate you on the direction your son is taking. Please extend my thanks and best wishes to/and for, your son and his service to OUR country !!!!