Wednesday, January 2, 2008

First Steps


Like first steps.... only bigger. I watched him walk into the armory, away from me, his home and friends.... Today at 12pm. It's bittersweet, cuz I am so proud of him. But when things like this happen the tendency is to look back at other milestones. Please indulge me.

David was stubborn even before he was born. He got comfy and didn't want to turn in the right position. I remember feeling his hard little skull right up under my ribcage. He must have liked the position cuz when his birthday came he was still there. They did an emergency C-section when the exam revealed a foot and umbilical cord in the birth canal instead of his fuzzy little head. The first time I saw him was thru the glass between me and the nursery. He looked like an eskimo baby. MY eskimo baby. Such a sweet little boy.

His first word was "No." I nursed him till he was two. He hated school and I had to pick up his little five-year-old body and physically put it on the school bus in the mornings. At night he couldn't go to sleep without our bedtime prayer. So it became a ritual right up til he was about 15 years old. I lost that year with him when he decided to live with his dad. I guess I kinda ruined his life. But he came to live with me and his sister a year later, and I couldn't have been happier. I bought him a Ford F-150 truck. A '94. It got stuck in the mud so many times.... cost me a fortune replacing the engine, redoing the front end 4 different times. He loved that truck. So did I. But he left it in the mud by the lake one night and somebody trashed it. Brad Paisley's song "Mud On The Tires"- it was all that. And more.

Hailey was his first gf. She is such a sweet girl. He took April to her prom in '05 I think. Then him and CarolAnne were together for a really long time. My favorite was Cassandra. She is like - the perfect chick! Beautiful and sweet and I love her still. I think he was playing the field right up til the time the recruiter talked him into the National Guard. I prayed for him to find a direction for his life. Who knew a month later he'd be gone?

He is excited. His myspace mood was "Adventurous." So what else can I ask for? I held him really tight and told him I love him and then let him go. Watched him take his first steps. Again. Out into his own world.

No comments: