Sunday, January 6, 2008

Church

I've gone back to church.... it's kinda weird tho. I've spent so many years in nondenominational situations. But this morning found me back at the First Baptist Church. I tried really hard to fit myself into a more "contemporary" place of worship but it never happened. The Vineyard was good for a while. They did make a place for me in their worship band. I felt like such a caged bird there tho. The other female lead singer did NOT want me there. And it showed. She was just a young chick too. Didn't know nothin about nothin, imho. She had a huge tendency to go flat. But she'd been there longer than me and I was just not in the mood to fight the alpha female, if ya know what I mean.

I tried a new church, Lifepoint. They preached a good game but when it came down to it they were everything that I think is classically bad about nondenominational churches. They have a "face" they want to put forth and if you don't fit the face you don't get to be in on any kind of ministry, unless it's wiping bottoms in the nursery. Let's just say I didn't fit the face, and after so many tries..... it's much easier to stay home and sleep late Sunday mornings.

One church wouldn't go away tho. The ladies from FBG would come to the bakery at lunch and always ask me to come back and sing in the choir. After several of these invitations it occured to me that maybe I should go where I was wanted. Maybe it's different from the kind of church I thought I'd end up going to. But the new music director and a man from the choir even came to my HOUSE.... so here I am. I can't really tell you how cool it is being a part of such a southern tradition every Sunday morning tho. It just feels right. And I s'pose that's what it's all about. If it wasn't God's leading then it wouldn't feel right. Right? I hope....

Today on the big screen in front of the baptismal was the verse about faith being dead if it doesn't have any works. I can lay in my bed and pray and pray and believe and trust and all that. But maybe that isn't enough. I need some works to go with my faith. So right now my church is my works. Whatever I can do there.... just be myself and share what God has given me to share... that's what I think He wants me to do. Even if it doesn't make sense. Even if a staid, traditional church is not where I thought I'd end up.... Faith without works is dead. So I'm getting ready to go back to work! (In more ways than one)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you found a church! We're still looking, and not having much luck. I think our problem is that our last church(in Indiana) was soooo perfect for us, that none of them here(Nebraska) even comes close.